Friday, December 11, 2009

Why do dogs have to get old?

We have five dogs that were our kids before kids and now probably more like brothers and sisters to the kids than dogs.  But my pups are getting old…two are 9 years old and three are 8 years old.

Well today we had our first bought with what is to come.  And I can honestly say that I am not ready for it!

Athena has been having accidents in the house.  I took her to the vet today since she also seemed majorly bloated and has been excessively thirsty .  Usually when a potty trained dog begins to have accidents, it is a UTI.  But Athena’s urine test came back mostly normal.  Which meant more tests to figure out what is wrong.  She had blood work and an abdominal x-ray.  Her liver is grossly enlarged and her blood work shows some high numbers in relation to the liver and adrenal glands.  So now we have to have an ultrasound to determine if it is liver disease, Crohn’s disease or (huge sigh)…cancer-lymphoma.  We have her ultrasound next Wednesday to try to determine how to proceed.  I hope hope hope that it is not cancer…did I mention hope??   I pray that it ends up somehow being nothing at all and she is miraculously better come next Wednesday.  

This picture is Athena being fed at on the table when she was having tummy problems last month (due to dog food allergies).  She is eating steamed white rice.  

 athena eating

Thought I would include a picture taken yesterday of one of our other dogs wrapped up in our daughter’s favorite blanket. 

DSC_0002

These are some spoiled pooches that live in this house!  I hope they will LIVE here much, much longer! 

No comments: