Sunday, January 18, 2009

My View from a Hospital Room

023

I have been in the hospital on and off with my Daddy for the last 6 months.  This is a first for me.  I had no idea about hospitals until then.  In fact, I was quite nervous about hospitals.  I didn’t know how things ran and I was terrified of all of the germs.  As I type this, I sit next to my sleeping Daddy in his hospital room.  He has been here for 2 weeks now.  We hope to get out in the next couple of days. 

Some words of advice if you ever have a loved one in the hospital, keep a close eye on them especially if they are at all weak.  I have seen quite a bit staying with Daddy.  I have found that there are very caring nurses and then there are those here for the paycheck.  Those that are here just for the paycheck are dangerous for your loved ones.  When Daddy has been left alone, he has been hurt, almost overdosed on more than one occasion, had to urinate on himself due to no answer to his calls for help, had to sit in his own feces because no one came to help, and these are just to name a few.  This is disheartening to those in the hospital.  Just having someone here beside my Daddy makes a world of difference.  It prevents the above things from happening as well as makes sure he is taken care of, not to mention his own peace of mind. 

You are your loved ones best advocate.  I believe it is important to be loving and kind to the nurses.  They do have a tough job.  I believe you also to be willing to ask for what your loved one needs.  It is helpful to keep things written down such as time meds are given.  It is also helpful to ask lost of questions.  Such as if they can eat before a procedure.  Daddy has been offered food when he is NPO (no food by mouth) for a procedure.  This resulted in delaying the procedure for a day.  

I am thankful for the many kind and loving souls that have cared for my Daddy.  I am also grateful that my family and friends have been so supportive to allow me to spend as much time as possible at his bedside.  I greatly miss my family and yet I will be eternally grateful for each moment spent with my Father.

No comments: